Most of the castle was built in the 13th century under the Seljuq Sultanate of Rûm following the city's conquest in 1220 by Alaeddin Keykubad I, as part of a building campaign that included the Kızıl Kule.
The castle was built on the remnants of earlier Byzantine era and Roman era fortifications. After the area was pacified under the Ottoman Empire, the castle ceased to be purely defensive, and numerous villas were built inside the walls during the 19th century. Today the building is an open-air museum. Access to the seaward castle is ticketed, but much of the area inside the wall, including the landward castle is open to the general public.
The castle is located 250 metres (820 ft) high on a rocky peninsula jutting into the Mediterranean Sea, which protects it from three sides. The wall which surrounds the castle is 6.5 kilometres (4.0 mi) long and includes 140 towers. 400 different cisterns were built to serve the castle. In 2009, city officials filed to include Alanya Castle and Tersane as UNESCO World Heritage Sites, and were named to the 2009 Tentative List.
Construction of the building began in the early reign of the Anatolian Seljuq Sultan Ala ad-Din Kay Qubadh I and was completed in 1226. The sultan brought the accomplished architect Ebu Ali Reha from Aleppo, Syria, to Alanya to complete the building. The octagonal red brick tower protects the Tersane (shipyard) which dates from 1221.
The name derives from the more red color brick he used in its construction. The building itself is 33 m (108 ft) high and 12.5 m (41 ft) wide. It remains one of the finest examples of medieval military architecture, and is the best preserved Seljuk building in the city. Like many buildings in the city, the Tower flies a Turkish Flag from its crenelations.
In 1979 the city opened the Ethnographic Museum of Alanya inside of the tower. Besides providing visitors with a history of the tower and town, the museum gives attention to the heraldry, in particular the Seljuq double headed eagle that is used on the city flag.
The tower was depicted on the reverse of the Turkish 250,000 lira banknotes from 1992 to 2005.
Sultan Aladdin Keykubat had started the shipyard construction to make his dream to become real and become "the sultan of two seas" two years after the construction of the tower. At the north side of the shipyard there is an epigraph and at the left side of the epigraph there is a small mosque, at the right side there is a dormitory for the soldiers. When you enter you can see the small holes, each one of them is 7.70 in width and 42.30 in length. These holes are tied to each other with arcs. One of these holes used to be a well. But now it is filled with waste. There is a parade to the Arsenal, and the villagers call it "the pit of hell". A foreign writer says: "it is the most famous work of art in the world and Alanya. I think that this shipyard is the only shipyard of the Seljuks."
This shipyard was active during the Ottoman period. In 1361, when the King of Cyprus invaded Antalya, the Ruler of Alaiye sent ships to
Antalya Ruler Mahmut. Moreover he agreed with other Turkish Rulers and sent their navy to Cyprus. At that time there were good ship masters. But today it is abandoned to loneliness and it is trying to still stand. We think that these works of arts have to be restored. I still remember when the shipyard was used by the sailors.
Armory; Built on a rock rising 10 metres high above the sea and located adjacent to Tersane ( shipyard ), in 1227. It is a three-storied building made of ashlar stones, which stood as a defensive structure for the shipyard during the Medieval Age. It has gargoyle figurines carved in the form of lion heads.
The structure collapsed as a result of lightning stroke and built by Alaeddin Keyqubad I in the first half of the 13 th century, was reconstructed by Suleiman the Magnificent by using old materials. The building known as Alaeddin or Kale (Castle) or Orta Hisar (Middle Fortress) Mosque, is dated to 16 th century by its plan, structure type, shape of dome and arch and stone and wood craftsmenship.
The narthex, which is hemisphere dome on the top, divided into three by diagonal arches with a square space and covered with three small domes, forms the main spot of the mosque. Domes are laid with brick but its walls are from partly brick and square stones. A minaret was added to northwestern corner of the harem and a vaulted cistern was constructed opposite of the northeastern corner. Next to the cistern, there is a covered place for performing ablution.
Alanya Archaeological Museum is an archaeological museum in Alanya, Turkey. The museum is divided into two sections, with displays of archaeological and ethnographic artifacts. It contains numerous ceramic, marble, bronze and glass pieces and mosaics from the Hellenistic, Roman, and Byzantine periods. Of particular note is its 2nd century bronze statue of Hercules, which measures 52 centimetres (20 in) in height. The museum, which was established in 1967, was refurbished in 2012.
Some of the prominent artifacts on display include: two amphoras in good condition, which were recovered by fishermen from the waters in Antiochia and Cragnum, Greco-italic in form (dated to 250150 BC), and a Will Type 10 Lamboglio 2 (dated to 10040 BC); window frames with coverings carved with geometrical designs; an unusual wooden door frame with an inscription "Year 1237 H' (1821)" and flowery border ornamentation; coins from the period 700500 B.C and also of the present period of the Turkish Republic; as well as a letter with 46 lines written by the Roman emperor Septimus Severus to the citizens of Syedra conveying a message of thanks.
Other is a prominent display in the central hall of an antiquity with an inscription on a stone of grey colour in the Phoenician language dated to 625 BC; also featured is traditional art of the Alanya area of the Yörük people such as bags made of goat's hair, bags attached to the saddle, garments, decorative fabric, cookware, table linen, cutlery, adornments, handwritten documents, writing tools and model room replicating every day life. Additional displays include epigraphy and decorative artifacts of Orthodox Greeks from the Hagios Georgios church of Alanya; an array of exhibits related to navigation, such as a model of a ship loaded with amphorae found from the bed of the Mediterranean sea which were used to transport oil, and a container made of bronze ornamented with a sculpture of the mythical Pegasus.
This is a traditional Alanya House where Ataturk, the founder of the Republic stayed during his visit to the city in 1935. Here, you may see the personal effects of Ataturk and learn about the various customs and traditions of Alanya in the recent past in a letter he wrote to the people of Alanya, as well as getting acquainted with items and objects used in that period.
The cave is located west of Alanya Castle on the coast of Mediterranean Sea in the urban fabric of Alanya. Its distance to Alanya city center is 3 km (1.9 mi), and to Antalya is 124 km (77 mi). The cave's entrance faces the beach.
The cave was discovered accidentally during mining operations at a quarry used for the construction of Alanya Harbor in 1948. After preliminary research by two geologists, it was opened to the public.
A 4550 m (148164 ft)-long and 15 m (49 ft)-high cylindrical cavity leads to the basement of the cave. The cave is full of stalactites and stalagmites that are formed in fifteen thousand years. The cave has an area of 180200 m2 (1,9002,200 sq ft) and a total volume about 2,500 m3 (88,000 cu ft) in two levels. The air in the cave contains relatively high percentage of carbondioxide, around 10 to 12 times more than in normal air, and has 95% humidity. The air temperature is 2223 °C (7273 °F) regardless of the season.
The cave is popularly known as an "asthma-cure cave" due to the widespread belief in its capability of curing respiratory complaints, and asthma. In fact, most of the early visitors were people, who suffered from asthma. In 2010, the municipality of Alanya reported that the cave was visited within seven months by 114,000 tourists of which 2,100 suffered from asthma. In 2014, the number of visitors suffering from asthma reached 4,000. Visitors, who come for asthma cure, stay 21 days long four hours a day in the cave. Between 6:00 and 10:00 hours local time in the early morning, the cave is open only for asthma-sick visitors. While the entrance fee for tourists cost Turkish lira symbol TL 4.50, the visitors for cure pay only Turkish lira symbol TL 0.30.
It is located 12 km east of Alanya, on the slope of Cebel-i Reis Mountain of 1,649 metres. It has an altitude of 232 m. It is the second biggest cave known to the visitors. It is estimated to be 1 million years old. There are two paths inside the cave. One is of 50 m, the other of 360 metres. There is a small lake towards the end of the cave. The 360 m. long path is prepared and illuminated, to provide a pleasant excursion offering tremendous scenery of stalagmite and stalactite for the visitors.
It is a sea cave under the historical peninsula. You can get there only by sea. It is ten meters width and 6 meters height. Small boats can enter the cave. There was a rumour that there was a hidden path reaching the castle and the pirates of ancient time took out their booty from this path to the upward part of the castle. The image of the rocks under the sea makes the cave more mysterious.
The cave, situated by the side of the historical peninsula, has two entrances. It is 75 meters long and you can reach the low entrance with a few steps. Since it has a low ceiling, you sometimes bend down while walking. The height of the entrance on the side of Damlataş Cave from the sea is 8m. You can jump into the sea here.
It is a sea cave on the Damlataş Cave side of the peninsula. Small boats are able to enter the cave. Due to its geological construction including phosphorous , the ground shines almost as if flourescently at nights due to the reflection of the moonlight. It is also possible to notice the glitter in the daytime. There are also the short swimming breaks in front of the cave as swimming here is an enjoyable experience.
Dim River is 15 km inside from the coast and on the banks of it are picnic areas. In Summer, the tables of open-air restaurants under the old plane trees are set in the river. The guests can sit with their feet in the water. What's more, authentic tables with cushions are set on the wooden terraces on the slopes close to and by the river. In some restaurants, tables are on the rafts. The trout are kept in the pools in restaurant gardens. The area is proper for mountain biking and trekking.
Oba River falls into the Mediterranean from the west of Dim River. There are picnic areas in Kadıpınarı where the rises. The shade of pine and plane trees is always cool. Kadıini Cave, known as the first settlement of Alanya in the prehistoric times, is here, too. It is inconvenient to enter the cave for safety reasons, as there are no arrangements yet. Trout fish are the most preferable dishes in the restaurants of Kadıpınarı.
Sapadere Canyon, which has become a mecca for those who want to escape Alanya's summer heat and freshen themselves, is literally a wonder of nature that worths visiting. Sapadere Canyon is 750 metres long, nearly 400 metres high and is located near Sapadere village. Sapadere Canyon has been a spectacular tourism site thanks to some projects, one of which is the path for walking, located on the point from which Sapadere River starts of the canyon, with steel bricks shoring it up and the other ones of which are picnic areas, village taverns and suchlike investments. The canyon is 40 kilometers away from Alanya and you can easily reach by going through Demirtaş village's tarmac.
There is a marvellous waterfall nearly 300 meter inside of the canyon's entrance and, where the water falls is a natural pool that is big enough for swimming.
The walking platform which is designed particulary for the canyon's visitors is made with wooden and steel construction materials. There is no way this platform can damage the environment and it can rise up when it is necessary. Sapadere Canyon, which has become a mecca for those who want to get rid of Alanya's summer heats and freshen themselves, is literally a wonder of nature that worths visiting.
While you are at Sapadere Canyon already, you should definitely visit Sapadere village's water mills and silk fabric workshops. Do not forget to eat salmons which grow in ice-cold waters that are formed by melting snows of plateaus heights. You will leave all the stress and noise of citylife behind when you breath in fresh forest air while sitting on pergolas which are set on watersides.